Family Visa

This is one of the kinds of “Family visa”

You’ll need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and you want to join, for 6 months or more, a partner or family member who’s living in the UK permanently.

Apply as a spouse, partner, parent, child or adult dependent relative

Generally, you will have to prove that:

  • you’re 18 or over unless you’re applying as a child
  • your relationship to your family member is genuine and recognised in the UK, eg your marriage is legal in your country
  • you intend to continue living with your family member or partner in the UK after you apply (unless you’re a parent who has access to the child)
  • you and your family will have an adequate place to live in the UK
  • you have a good knowledge of English if you’re 18 or over – unless you’re applying as an adult dependent relative

Joining your partner

You must prove that you and your partner are 18 or over and in a genuine relationship. It means, you must be married or in a civil partnership, living together in a relationship for 2 years or are engaged to be married or to become a civil partnership.

Any previous relationships you or your partner had must have been permanently broken down.

You must also meet the financial requirement of:

  • £18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
  • £22,400 per year for you and one child
  • £2,400 per year for each additional child

Joining your parents

You must be under 18 and all of the following must apply:

  • you’ll be living with your parent or parents
  • you’re not married, in a civil partnership or living an independent life
  • you’ll be supported and accommodated adequately without using public funds, or you meet the financial requirement

Coming to be cared for – adult dependent relative

You must be dependent on a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living permanently in the UK.

You must prove that:

  • you need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks because of illness, disability or your age
  • the care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in
  • the person you’ll be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for you without claiming public funds for at least 5 years
  • you’re 18 or over


Your situationApply outside the UKApply in the UK
Joining your partner, parent or child£1,523£1,033
Each dependant added to your application£1,523 for each person£1,033 for each person
An adult who needs to be looked after by a relative£3,250£1,033

You may also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application.

This kind of visas can be particularly critical and we can help you to make a clean and error-free application. Contact me