This is one of the kinds of “Family visa”
You’ll need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and you want to join, for 6 months or more, a partner or family member who’s living in the UK permanently.
Apply as a spouse, partner, parent, child or adult dependent relative
Generally, you will have to prove that:
- you’re 18 or over unless you’re applying as a child
- your relationship to your family member is genuine and recognised in the UK, eg your marriage is legal in your country
- you intend to continue living with your family member or partner in the UK after you apply (unless you’re a parent who has access to the child)
- you and your family will have an adequate place to live in the UK
- you have a good knowledge of English if you’re 18 or over – unless you’re applying as an adult dependent relative
Joining your partner
You must prove that you and your partner are 18 or over and in a genuine relationship. It means, you must be married or in a civil partnership, living together in a relationship for 2 years or are engaged to be married or to become a civil partnership.
Any previous relationships you or your partner had must have been permanently broken down.
You must also meet the financial requirement of:
- £18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
- £22,400 per year for you and one child
- £2,400 per year for each additional child
Joining your parents
You must be under 18 and all of the following must apply:
- you’ll be living with your parent or parents
- you’re not married, in a civil partnership or living an independent life
- you’ll be supported and accommodated adequately without using public funds, or you meet the financial requirement
Coming to be cared for – adult dependent relative
You must be dependent on a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living permanently in the UK.
You must prove that:
- you need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks because of illness, disability or your age
- the care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in
- the person you’ll be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for you without claiming public funds for at least 5 years
- you’re 18 or over
|Your situation||Apply outside the UK||Apply in the UK|
|Joining your partner, parent or child||£1,523||£1,033|
|Each dependant added to your application||£1,523 for each person||£1,033 for each person|
|An adult who needs to be looked after by a relative||£3,250||£1,033|
You may also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application.
This kind of visas can be particularly critical and we can help you to make a clean and error-free application. Contact me