People who are planning to marry a British citizen or permanent resident in the UK may apply for a fiance/fiancee visa. This visa is called a marriage visitor visa too. Unlike most other visas of its kind, there is no requirement that the applicant and the sponsor have lived together before applying.
Fiance / Marriage Visitor Visa Requirements
- The sponsor and the applicant must intend to get married within a six month period.
- They must have met each other.
- They must intend to live together permanently.
- The applicant must be able to support him/herself or be supported by their partner, without access to public funds.
- There must be adequate accommodation in place.
- 18 or over
- free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival
- in a genuine relationship
- visiting the UK for less than 6 months
- leaving the UK at the end of your visit
Successful applicants are granted a 6 month visa in which to come to the UK and get married. They are not allowed to work while on this visa.
See standard visit visa for detail procedure.