Fiance Visa

People who are planning to marry a British citizen or permanent resident in the UK may apply for a fiance/fiancee visa. This visa is called a marriage visitor visa too. Unlike most other visas of its kind, there is no requirement that the applicant and the sponsor have lived together before applying.

Fiance / Marriage  Visitor Visa Requirements

  • The sponsor and the applicant must intend to get married within a six month period.
  • They must have met each other.
  • They must intend to live together permanently.
  • The applicant must be able to support him/herself or be supported by their partner, without access to public funds.
  • There must be adequate accommodation in place.
  • 18 or over
  • free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival
  • in a genuine relationship
  • visiting the UK for less than 6 months
  • leaving the UK at the end of your visit

Successful applicants are granted a 6 month visa in which to come to the UK and get married. They are not allowed to work while on this visa.

See standard visit visa for detail procedure.