Long Residence Visa

General Information

You can apply to settle in the UK if you’ve been in the UK legally for 10 continuous years (known as ‘long residence’). Settling (known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’) means you can stay in the UK without any time restrictions.

You must have permission to stay (‘leave to remain’). This can be in any immigration category, or a combination of different immigration categories. You must also have been in the UK legally for 10 years (known as your ‘continuous residence’) and kept to the terms of your UK visa.

If you’re aged 18 to 65 years old, you must:

  • pass the Life in the UK Test
  • prove you have sufficient English language skills

Continuous residence

Continuous residence is time you’ve spent in the UK without gaps. But you can leave the UK during the continuous residence for up to 180 days at a time and 540 days in total

When to apply

You can send your application as soon as you meet all the eligibility requirements – you don’t need to wait until your current visa expires.

You must be in the UK to apply.You’ll be told whether your application has been successful within 6 months.

Dependants who aren’t eligible

Your partner can apply to remain in the UK as the partner of a settled person if they aren’t eligible to apply separately and your application for settlement is successful.

They may be able to include their children under 18 in their application.

You can’t include your family members (‘dependants’) in your application.


What you’re applying for Applying by post in the UK
Settle £1,875
Extend £811

You can also apply to settle at a premium service centre. This costs £2,375.

Contact us for a neat and clean, error free application today